I have been told that I ought to do some sort of public introduction on this system. My name is Yoshida Shiro, but I go by Shiro. I come from Tokyo, where I have lived my entire life. My father, before he died, was a diplomat to this country, and my cousin Harada Keniuchio, who raised me after that, is a well known businessman back home. He runs Silver Samurai, Inc., if anyone has heard of it.
I have the power to fire blasts of heat, to fly, and shield myself from most heat and radiation. (Angelo, did I spell that correctly?) I also am adept at karate and kendo, which I practice with the bokken O-Harada-sama gave me. But the katana he gave to me is by far one of the most beautiful things in this world.
I apologize if my English sounds a bit stiff and forced. I have yet to learn how to speak more clearly and casually. Although I suppose that by spending enough time with Angelo and Alex, I'll be speaking as poorly as the rest of you.
I have the power to fire blasts of heat, to fly, and shield myself from most heat and radiation. (Angelo, did I spell that correctly?) I also am adept at karate and kendo, which I practice with the bokken O-Harada-sama gave me. But the katana he gave to me is by far one of the most beautiful things in this world.
I apologize if my English sounds a bit stiff and forced. I have yet to learn how to speak more clearly and casually. Although I suppose that by spending enough time with Angelo and Alex, I'll be speaking as poorly as the rest of you.
no subject
Date: 2003-11-10 09:33 pm (UTC)Although I suppose that by spending enough time with Angelo and Alex, I'll be speaking as poorly as the rest of you.
Most likely, yes. Alternatively, you'll be speaking as naturally as the rest of us.
no subject
Date: 2003-11-10 09:57 pm (UTC)Is it a trade-off in English? Either speak gramatically properly but sound forced, or talk like a slob but sound like a natural speaker. Do any Americans actually speak their own language the right way?
Yes and no.
Date: 2003-11-10 10:58 pm (UTC)Most of the Americans I know now speak very informally, even to some adults. It came as a bit of a shock to me. Homework is still done formally, and it seems to depend on the person as well. I am never going to get used to using the same words to say things to teachers as I do for my classmates.
Professor Xaiver speaks very correctly, but does not sound forced. He sounds .. like a professor who thinks a lot. Intellectual is what the dictionary online suggested. Doctor McCoy also speaks very formally much of the time, and he is definitly not forced sounding. This might be because he is blue and funny though.
It changes from person to person and it depends on what they are doing at the time.
Alison is getting me a book on American Slang, and some copies for the library as well. It might help you too.
My English language teacher at my old school would have her head spinning if she heard me saying some of the things that Jamie and Doug say often - and these are not bad words, they just have funny meanings.
Doug sometimes gives little explanations about why they say things they do as well. You might want to ask him, language is what Doug does.
Re: Yes and no.
From:Re: Yes and no.
From:Re: Yes and no.
From:Re: Yes and no.
From:no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 08:34 am (UTC)Either speak gramatically properly but sound forced, or talk like a slob but sound like a natural speaker.
Pretty much. (As a side note, "speak gramatically properly" is not proper gramar. Try "Either speak with proper grammar but...", "Either speak properly but...", or "Either speak gramatically but...")
Doesn't Japanese have abriviations, contractions, and slang?
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 02:17 am (UTC)And don't worry about your English, be it poor, formal or what have you. Language is about communication--so long as we understand one another it's served its purpose.
no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 07:19 am (UTC)"Funny Farm"? I'm not too familiar with that term. Doesn't that refer to a place where the authorities lock up insane people?
no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 12:19 pm (UTC)And yes, Funny Farm is slang for a mental institution. In this case, I'm using the term so I can draw a humorous comparison between the inhabitants of said mental institution and the students and faculty of this school.
In other words, I was making a joke. ;-)
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:Doug.
From:Konnichi wa
Date: 2003-11-11 07:01 am (UTC)Your mutation sounds very much like my brother’s. His name is Sam; tall, blonde young man who speaks in an atrocious accent. ;)
I would love to book out the gym with you for a little sparring one of these days, if you wouldn’t mind. I’m sure you’ll “kick my butt” as we say, but I figure we both fight very by the book and I wouldn’t mind picking up some better technique.
(also, my other partners seem to refuse to spar with me anymore and Angelo just outright refused from the beginning. ;))
Can’t wait to meet you in person.
Re: Konnichi wa
Date: 2003-11-11 07:32 am (UTC)Re: Konnichi wa
Date: 2003-11-11 09:48 am (UTC)We, by the way, should probably meet soon. Let me know when you feel you've settled in enough and we can talk, yes?
Re: Konnichi wa
From:Re: Konnichi wa
From:Re: Konnichi wa
From:I suppose this is the place for introductions, then....
Date: 2003-11-11 08:42 am (UTC)If my accent gives you any trouble, tell me so and I'll try to be clearer.
Re: I suppose this is the place for introductions, then....
Date: 2003-11-11 11:42 am (UTC)Re: I suppose this is the place for introductions, then....
Date: 2003-11-11 02:23 pm (UTC)Re: I suppose this is the place for introductions, then....
From:Re: I suppose this is the place for introductions, then....
From:no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 09:00 am (UTC)Yes, that's right. And your katana is beautiful... Any chance I could borrow it, if I persuade the professors to let me learn?
no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 11:49 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 09:32 am (UTC)Hello, Shiro. Welcome to the mansion. I am Doug, and as Marie-Ange explained, my talent is to speak and understand languages. I look forward to meeting you and learning more about Japanese slang and culture.
(end translation Nihongo-to-English)
no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 11:53 am (UTC)Oh, somebody here speaks Japanese, too? How well do you speak it? Have you ever visited the country?
no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 01:50 pm (UTC)I'm not really sure how well I speak Japanese, since I have never tried to before. As everyone has been telling you, my mutant ability is to speak and understand any language. I can speak to Piotr in Russian, Marie-Ange in French, Angelo in Spanish, Haroun in Arabic, and so on. I do not really know any slang or anything like that. No, I have never been to Japan, but would love to learn more about Japanese culture from you, if you are willing.
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 01:50 pm (UTC)Wonder how that would work with my power. The name's John Allerdyce, but some call me Pyro. Just another mutie living in the institution Xavier built.
Welcome to the Madhouse, Shiro.
no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 02:55 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 07:46 pm (UTC)Fire.
(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 03:14 pm (UTC)So what do you do for fun? Besides flying and martial arts, I mean.
no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 03:26 pm (UTC)(no subject)
From:You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:Re: You!
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2003-11-11 05:57 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2003-11-12 02:33 am (UTC)